Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cheesy Smiles


Hey guys -
  
    This is the project I'm working on at the moment - a soft, big tote.  This pattern is from the book called Simple Knitting by Erika Knight.  This bag is knit in the tweed stich - two slightly confusing rows that are repeated over and over.  The great thing about this stitch is that the wrong side of the pattern is lovely, as well as the right side.  I'm definitely keeping this pattern in the back of my head to use in the future as a reversible pillow!  This bag is knitted in one piece, and after binding off, is stitched up, and then a narrow piece of cotton tape is sewed up both sides, creating the handles, and some structure to the bag.  *FYI: the bumpy side is the right side.*
     
    Life's been pretty blasé the last few days - my boyfriend, Will, is at 4-H camp this week as a counselor, as he's done for the last five years.  Camp is in Angwin, California - about an hour north-east of Santa Rosa.  There is absolutely zero cell service there and the only landline is for absolute emergencies; unfortunately (in this instance only!) he's also my best friend, so I have to go six very long days without any communication with my favorite person, minus a letter or two, if he decides to send me one..!
  
    Tonight I'm going to a knit night with one of my oldest friends, so that should be a change of pace.  Turns out though, that it's the same group I went to six or so months ago and, to be completely honest, I did not care for the women in the group.  A bunch of yuppies, if you ask me.  When I was there last, one woman complained about how expensive it was to send her family on an obstacle-resort vacation: about $9,000.  I was sitting there thinking, "Sorry that your worst problem in life is shelling out ten grand for a vacation..."  Anyway, I told my friend I would go, since without my best friend around, there's not much else to do, so we'll see how it goes.  For the moment, time for mac n' cheese and a Law and Order: Special Victims Unit marathon!
  
xo Megan

Tweed Stitch:
R0w 1 (RS): K1, *yf, sl1p, yb, k1, repeat from * to end.
Row 2: P2, *yb, sl1p, yf, p1, repeat from * to last stitch, p1.
Worked over a multiple of 2 stitches, plus 1
                                                                                                               
Yf: yarn forward (or, yo)
Yb: yarn backward
Sl1p: slip 1 purl-wise

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Thank you for posting this!

    I'm confused about the stitch. I'm working on the same pattern but don't get how to knit the tweed stitch.

    Here's what I've knit so far:
    - Cast on an odd number of stitches.
    - Knit the first row. (all is going well so far)

    For the second row I'm finding that I'm picking up single loop stitches, double loop stitches, and triple loop stitches. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to pick up to do the next slip, knit, or purl stitch. (now I'm confused)

    Here's my question:
    How do I differentiate and know what to pick up to make the next stitch, what ever that may be.

    Thanks so much for any tips you could share!
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post! I appreciate it more than you know. xx