Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Turkey day v.// 2

As promised, my v.// 2 Thanksgiving post!  This one was much bigger and crazier than the first - I have one sibling and five other cousins, on top of their families/significant others/parents and our grandmother.  All of us have (essentially) grown up together, since we all lived/live in two adjacent counties, and that makes holidays so much more fun than they otherwise would be.  I only see my dad's family a few times a year, so it's a little more stiff than my mom's.

Since I didn't talk about what I was thankful for in my first thanksgiving post, I guess I'll do that now.  I have to say that the single biggest thing I'm thankful for is my (inner) strength.  I haven't talked about this here on the blog (although I've wanted to) because I couldn't figure out a way to broach it to all of you, but... here goes:  I've struggled with suicide since 2009, when I was hospitalized for my safety.  

This past year I've struggled so much with suicidal thoughts (because of this), so the strength I've somehow summoned up not to escape the world is what I'm most thankful for.  After I "made it out of the woods" in 2009, I promised myself I would never try to escape again; against all odds, I have kept that promise, because I've never broken a promise to anyone, myself included.  That's (most of) the story behind the tattoo I'm getting in 15 days (eeek!), which I'll reveal soon after.  :)

Now that that surprise (I know you are!) is over, I want to assure you that I've been doing much better in the last month than I have in a long time; you'll still be seeing regular posts from me!  ;)  Speaking of which, I'll be back tomorrow for an outfit post about my first venture into a new (to me) fashion trend.   Enjoy your evening, loves!   xx
^ that's Orion you see through the trees.  :)

currently listening to..// Don't You Remember - Adele

2 comments:

  1. Your Thanksgiving photos look great! I'm always jealous of the fact you get an extra holiday before Christmas in the US. Sorry to hear about the hard time you have been having but the fact you are brave enough to share your experience on your blog definitely shows your strength. Getting a tattoo to celebrate your inner strength is a great idea too, it'll always be there to remind you that you are strong enough to beat those thoughts :)

    Susan xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is such a stigma against mental disorders and suicide! it's very brave of you to share with the blogosphere. I have a close family member that has struggled their whole life with OCD and anxiety disorder, and it is important to celebrate every small victory! Keep up the awesome work :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post! I appreciate it more than you know. xx